Monday, May 26, 2008

Rainy days and Monday's


London weather has finally decided to give me a glimpse of what it is usually like. I have been blessed with sunny skies with moderate temperatures for my first week of touring. Trying to look and act as an "Londoner" can be simple after following some simple advice from Anne. Layers are key because the sun and temperature change very quickly here and rain is always uncertain. Each day I take off with two layers, sunglasses, and a backpack with my raincoat. The style of clothing here is fairly simple and most people wear darker colors. Business men all wear suits to work each day and Starbucks still dominates overseas. (above is one of my favorite pictures thus far in London: Craig, Sandy and I at a pub near Sandy's work)

Yesterday Anne, Craig and I were going to go see the Aquarium which is located next to the London Eye. Much to our disappointment we found a long queue (line) filled with strollers. As our plan B, Craig and I went to the Churchill's Cabinet War Rooms and Anne headed to Sandy's office. The Cabinet War Rooms allowed Churchill to direct his war cabinet in London, underground, since London expected many air raids throughout the war. I find World War II history very interesting and I was fully engaged inside the museum. The tour offered a headset guided tour during our underground travels through the war rooms. There is also a separate wing dedicated to Churchill that was very impressive with state of the art galleries. I learned much about Churchill's lifestyle, his dedication to the war and his family, and the conditions for his cabinet throughout the war.

Afterwards, Craig and I headed to the pub by Anne and Sandy's and had some pints while we waited for them to get back from the office. We then ate some Sweedish burgers that settled quite nicely with the variety of beers we had been drinking.

Today has been rainy, as mentioned, so we went to the gym to work out and have been cleaning up the flat some and shooting out e-mails. We are now about to go to dinner with Sandy and one of his partners from New York at a Belgium restaurant.

Until next time here are some of my favorite Churchill quotes from the museum:

“I am easily satisfied with the very best.”

“We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out”

Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."
Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

Until next time, never stop exploring.

No comments: